Tuesday, October 20, 2009

SYRUP? Oh Yes!!!

My brush with fame... Obama, Bush, McCain, and I at the 2008 Freedom Festival 5K


We had company over for dinner two Sundays ago. They have five kids, 12 and under, and so we thought we'd do something fun. I will definitely be posting the recipes for what I made, but that will be for another post. The one recipe I WANTED to be sure you all had first off was for my syrup!

I'm pretty picky with syrup. The brand I grew up with, Golden Griddle, is the only kind I like out of the bottle (okay, I can tolerate Mrs. Butterworth's). Here's the problem: no one sells Golden Griddle in Texas! What?!?!?! Okay, so I lived without it when we lived in San Antonio for 5 years, but I thought that for sure I could find it in the DFW metroplex. Man, was I wrong.

So, when I sent Mark to get syrup, I told him to make SURE it was Mrs. Butterworth's. Apparently he forgot (I should have known! Men are predictable!), but he got some no-name brand instead. So, I thought back on to my favorite restaurant syrup, at Magelby's in Provo, and improvised.

Ironically, I received an email from my sister Hayley with a recipe for syrup she claims is also very similar to Magelby's. Haven't made it yet, but it looks delish! So, if you've got some plain syrup that you need to spice up, try my recipe. If you have a little more time and a few more ingredients, then try Hayley's.

And if you want the REAL THING, go to Magelby's for their all-you-can eat french toast and syrup! It's a 4th of July tradition for the Tintle family, right after we burn a lot of calories running the Freedom Festival 5K! (hence the picture)


Lindsey's Syrup

1 bottle syrup, any brand (we recently used "Log Cabin"
1 cube of butter
1/2 jar caramel (optional... only if you have it)

Pour syrup into a pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter [and caramel] and stir until melted and bubbly. Pour hot over your pancakes, waffles, or french toast! I keep it in the frig just to be safe. Reheat in the microwave.


Hayley's Syrup

Hayley Says: "I got this syrup recipe a few weeks ago and have made it to go with waffles at least a dozen times since. It is SO yummy. Comparable to Magelby's Fresh syrup."

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 T. Karo syrup
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

Melt butter in saucepan. Add sugar, Karo syrup, and buttermilk, and boil. Once boiling and beginning to foam, add vanilla and baking soda. Serve over waffles, pancakes, or french toast! Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment