Monday, October 26, 2009

Dress Up Those Carrots!


It's been a few days since I've posted. Sorry I was away... the family and I were in San Antonio, playing away! I need to make some contingency plans for this blog, though. My goal is one new recipe for my readers per day, and I forgot to bring some with me to keep my entries current. Not good! So, I'll start back with a really great, simple recipe. This one should make any carrot-hater a carrot convert.

I'm always looking for new ways to serve veggies because, frankly, I'm not a veggie fan. I grew up with all veggies over-cooked and swimming in cream sauce. A step up from that is my husband's way of doing veggies: steamed with butter and salt. But if you're looking for a little more, give this recipe a try (and if any of y'all have been to "Charleston's" restaurant in Nebraska or Arizona, these might taste a little familiar!).

Glazed Carrots
from Cooks Illustrated

1 lb carrots, peeled
1/2 c. chicken broth
3 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/2 minced thyme

Slice the carrots on the bias into pieces that are 1/4" thick and 2" long. Combine carrots, broth, 1 Tbsp of honey, and salt in a 12" nonstick skillet. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook covered, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender, about 5 minutes.

Uncover, return to a boil, and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced to about 2 Tbsp (about 2 minutes).

Stir in the butter, thyme, and remaining 2 Tbsp honey. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until t he carrots are completely tender and the glaze is lightly golden, about 3 minutes.

1 comment: