Monday, October 12, 2009

Hello, and Homemade Snickers

HELLO EVERYONE!

I've gotten a little bored with blogging about my family. Not that I will stop, I just wonder how many people really look at it (which is just my immediate family, based on the few comments I get) or really care to hear about the silly little mundane family things going on. So, I'm going to blog about something that everyone loves: FOOD!

A few years ago I put together a recipe book of Tintle Family Recipes. It had all the recipes and stories from when I was growing up (plus some from in-laws, yummy!). I had a friend ask me yesterday how long it took, and if you don't count the two times my computer crashed with near-finished copies of the recipe book, the real thing took 3-4 months. I've been thinking about doing an update to that book, but remembering how laborious it was to put it together had me searching for easier ways to put a database of "new family favorites" together. Hence, this blog.

My goal with this blog is to include yummy recipes, but here's the key: I want everyone to share their yummy recipes with me! So send me your recipe and a picture (if you can) and I would LOVE to post it! I will post as many as I get! I want this to be a HUGE database of YUMMIES for the entire internet to share!

So, to start off, a new favorite DESSERT recipe! This was served at a recent church event, and is terribly sinful!


HOMEMADE SNICKERS
recipe from Susan Thurman

2 c. milk chocolate chips (divided)
1/2 c. butterscotch chips (divided)
3/4 c. creamy peanut butter (divided)
1/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. salted peanuts
1 pkg. (14 oz) caramels
1/4 c. whipping cream

first layer: Melt together 1 c. chocolate chips, 1/4 c. butterscotch chips, and 1/4 c. peanut butter in a pan over low heat. Spread into a lightly greased 9x13 pan and cool.

second layer: In a pan over med-high heat, melt butter, sugar, and evaporated milk together and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the marshmallow creme, 1/4 c. peanut butter, and vanilla. Mix and add peanuts and spread over cooled first layer. Cool completely.

third layer: Melt caramels and whipping cream together over low heat. Spread over second layer and cool completely.

fourth layer: Repeat first layer.

Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares and serving.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have time to post a recipe, but just wanted to second that homemade snickers are the best.thing.ever!!!!!!!!! I made mine from a recipe from Chow.com a few months ago and they were divine. The recipe is here: http://www.chow.com/recipes/11059-snickles They were a little tricky but worth the effort IMO.

    ReplyDelete