Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wednesday's Dinner: Beef Stroganoff


Back with another blog entry, I thought maybe it would be easier if I just posted what I cooked for dinner last night! Granted, if you wanted the recipe for a different night this week you might have gotten a recipe for French toast, but I feel like last night's dinner was worth sharing.

I happened to have a freezer full of meat (thanks to me being a sucker to a traveling meat salesman about 3 months ago) and needed a use for some of it. I didn't want just steak, and I didn't want stir fry. Add that it is super cold outside and I found this recipe for beef stroganoff that hit the spot. You'll love it!

Beef Stroganoff
serves 4

1 1/2 lb sirloin tips, pounded and cut into 2"x 1/2" strips
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced thin
1 onion, chopped fine
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. beef broth
1/3 c white wine
6 oz egg noodles
2/3 c. sour cream
2 tsp lemon juice

1) Pat beef dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in large skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Cook the meat until well browned. Transfer meat to a medium bowl

2) Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp oil and cook mushrooms, onion, and 1/2 tsp salt until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated. Stir in the flour and cook 30 seconds. Gradually stir in broths and wine, and return the beef and it's juices to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
3) Stir noodles into the meat mixture, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes until the noodles are tender. Off the heat, stir in the sour cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment