Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hello, Great Abyss!

Now that I've picked up my food blog again, I wonder... does anyone out there even read it? Am I doing this for me alone? I hope there's someone out there who is reading, and maybe even *trying* my recipes. Believe me, I wouldn't post them unless they were worth sharing. So, if you're out there, please comment or leave me some suggestions for what you'd like to see in future posts. Want more desserts? Let me know. Want more weeknight meals? You have to comment!

Speaking of weeknight meals, here's what I made for the fam on Tuesday. I thought it was phenomenal. My two older boys, however, were in no mood to try something new ("I don't like PIG, mom!"). And Mark, well, he got home an hour after he told me he'd be home (apparently couldn't resist a stop at the auto parts store) so it wasn't as fab as it was fresh and hot. *sigh* At least I enjoyed it.

Before I give the recipe, I'll be honest... I'd never cooked a pork roast before. It was just not something I grew up with. But I've found some phenomenal pork recipes, and given that you can buy pork roasts on the cheap at Costco (or anywhere else, pretty much) and that my family is sick of chicken, this was a nice alternative. Ooo, and I like my veggies extra carmelized, so I let them roast a little longer.

Pork Roast with Veggies and Jus
serves a medium-sized family

for the roast:
1 2-lb(ish) pork tenderloin roast
salt, pepper
oil

for the veggies:
1-2 lbs. carrots, sliced on the bias 1/2" thick
3 lbs red potatoes, sliced into 1" wedges (note: I used "fingerling" potatoes from Costco)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
salt, pepper
Fresh Sage (worth the two bucks at the store)

for the Jus:
oil
1/4 c. minced onion
2 c chicken broth
2 sprigs fresh thyme or sage
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste

How to:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Heat oil in a 12" skillet. Cut off visible fat and "silver skin" from pork roast. With a paper towel, pat off the moisture from the roast (very important). Season generously with salt and pepper. Place in skillet and let each side brown (8-10 minutes).

Toss veggies with butter, salt, and pepper. Place in the bottom of a roasting pan.

Place browned pork roast on the V-rack of a roasting pan.

Place roasting pan, uncovered, in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. When roast is done, place on a plate, tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes or so. Slice when ready to eat.

Heat oven now to 500 degrees. Stir veggies in the bottom of the pan, add 1 Tbsp fresh chopped sage, and return to oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until veggies are to your desired doneness.

For the Jus: While veggies are cooking again, use the same 12" skillet that you browned the roast in initially and heat 1 Tbsp oil. Cook onion until softened, scraping pork pieces from the surface of the pan. Add broth, bay leaves, and thyme and cook in pan until reduced by half. Remove the bay leaves and thyme, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve over the pork.


1 comment:

  1. I love the recipes. I try fewer than I would like to, but give it my best shot. EASY is the type I'm looking for. Like, totally no-brainers. Because I have such little brain capacity left, you see...

    ReplyDelete