Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A New Pie You've Never Tasted!


We all have our stand-by pies at Thanksgiving... pumpkin, apple, pecan. I never eat these "plain" pies any more, as I've discovered a trove of variations that taste so much better.

Then I found a totally UNIQUE pie that I loved!

It's called "Jefferson Davis Pie" (review your Civil War history to remember who Jefferson Davis was). It's a little-known southern delicacy, brought back in the limelight a few years ago by "Cook's Country" magazine, a sister to Cooks Illustrated, my favorite! This pie has a brown sugar custard on top and a gooey sweet fruit crust on the bottom. Even if you're not a fan of one of the ingredients (I'm not a raisin fan, for example) you'll still goo goo over this pie! I recently took it to a RS "Pie Night" where recipes were swapped and tasted and this one, well, took the "cake."

So, try a new pie this Thanksgiving! You'll be thanking me!

Jefferson Davis Pie

Serves 8

1/2cup raisins (golden are best)
1/2cup chopped dates
1/2cup pecans , toasted and chopped
1(9-inch) pie shell , pre-cooked
3tablespoons all-purpose flour
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4teaspoon ground allspice
1/2teaspoon salt
1cup packed light brown sugar
8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter , softened
5large egg yolks
1 1/2cups heavy cream

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Pulse raisins, dates, and pecans in food processor until finely ground. Transfer mixture to chilled pie shell and gently press into even layer.

2. Combine flour, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in small bowl. With electric mixer on medium-low speed, beat sugar and butter until just combined, about 1 minute. Mix in yolks, one at a time, until incorporated. Add flour mixture and cream and mix, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, until just combined.

3. Pour filling over fruit and nuts in prepared crust and bake until surface is deep brown and center jiggles slightly when pie is shaken, 55 to 65 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack, about 4 hours. Serve. (Pie can be refrigerated, covered in plastic wrap, for 2 days.)

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, I so wish I had seen this recipe before Thanksgiving, I definately would have tried it. Thank goodness Christmas is just around the corner and I will have another excuse to try it BECAUSE I think it looks really yummy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete